This is a constantly updating list. Please send me recommendations.
Binary trans youtubers:
- Kat Blaque a black trans woman who talks about race, gender and feminism,
- Chase “you’re trans and don’t have a youtube channel? you need to get on that”,
- Jake Edwards singing about T and talking to NB youtubers,
- Alex Bertie in an adorable Q&A with his sister,
- Gigi Gorgeous seen here casually hanging out with Kylie Jenner.
- Kaitlyn Alexander in the best parody video ever,
- Riley Dennis discussing alternative trans narratives and responding to hate comments with sass,
- Roly talking about their 17 piercings yessss,
- theo sharing thoughts about fitting in as NB,
- Milo Stewart seen here causing gender confusion which is always to be supported,
- Tyler Ford seen here in stylelikeu, a video series in which people talk about themselves while undressing
- Dev Blair, and their blog discussing gender, sexuality, race, allyship
- Ashley Wylde, originator of the gender tag
- Vesper NB pan/biromantic asexual living in Japan: vlog about race, gender, sexuality, intersectionality, stuff going on in Japan, body mods
- Ash Hardell, bi, genderqueer/questioning
- MilesChronicles I don’t even know how to describe this channel? It’s crazy bullshit at 300%, watch it immediately
- Mina Caputo trans musician. I especially love Got Monsters
- Break Free – Ruby Rose
- The Elephant in the Room – The Axis of Awesome and here is Jordan’s coming out video ❤
- Transgender Dysphoria Blues – Against Me! of course
- Jackie Evancho’s cover of All of the Stars
- Herstory —6 really really good episodes about trans women, written and performed by trans women. Includes 1 lesbian love story. It’s compelling and touching and real and infuriating and awesome. Season 2 will be released in 2017 ahhh. (CN: T slur, transphobia, abuse)
- Carmilla — I heard it’s good. I’m just watching it because Kaitlyn is in it playing a genderqueer character 😛 They don’t realise they are NB straight away, so you have to wait a bit.
- Neutrois nonsense
- butchwonders a mostly cis, gender non-conforming perspective
- Butch Please, a genderqueer column
- Sam Dylan Finch who writes about being queer, nb, and intersections with mental health
- Schlomo Steel, about drag, and queer community, and castles in the shit
- Alok Vaid-Menon
- CN Lester, trans activist
- Kasey Weird at Valprehension gender things and demisexual things
- Genderfluent gender things and ace things
- Raye at Genderawesome gender things
- Jamie Ray at A Boy And Her Dog, on the border between butch and trans
- Cassian, who also makes polyinpictures and runs an annual NB/GQ survey
- Thingofthings link is to post that I liked a lot about being cis-by-default
- Beyond The Binary, which has lots of things including Agony Auncle written by CN Lester
- We Happy Trans – A place for sharing positive trans* perspectives
- To Survive On This Shore photographs and interviews of older transgender and gender-variant adults
- Rooster Tails and GCutie (NB)
- my many favourites from Robot Hugs (NB), who also writes about sexism and harassment
- some favourites from Assigned Male Comics. It’s really cute and heartwarming!!
- villainette a ridiculously beautiful watercolour comic by Scout Tran-Caffee about being a nonbinary transwoman
- Portside Stories about a person uncovering their gender identity. I inhaled the entire thing in an hour and cried a lot. Was an emotional time. Also read Goodbye to Halos by the same person. Good lord. *cries*.
- Rock and Riot a 50’s comic with queer characters that is very rad
Games/Art/ Weird stuff:
- Porpentine I don’t know how to explain this. Go play her stuff, especially With Those We Love Alive
- here’s a list of NB spoken word poets,
- Bex Kwan NB poet of Singaporean origin
- Ivan E. Coyote and Rae Spoon, the last is a performance of the last part of the book Gender Failure
- A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers by Alyssa Wong. This was amazingly beautiful. Everything Alyssa writes leaves me breathless. (As far as I know, Alyssa is not trans. CN: suicide)
- If Harry Potter was a trans girl, one-shot fanfic. As far as I know, this writer is not trans either, but it’s good. (Not trans-related but social justice related: I also really liked their series in defense of the Hogwarts ladies, and if Harry Potter was a squib)
Books (links are to Goodreads reviews; I got most of these on bookdepo, and will lend them to you if you happen to live nearby. I have not read most of them yet, and will review them as I go along.):
- Gender Failure by Ivan E. Coyote and Rae Spoon, on the AFAB NB experience. I loved it. A review will be up shortly.
- Tomboy Survival Guide by Ivan E. Coyote
- Anything else written by Ivan, really.
- The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You by S. Bear Bergman, also on the transmasculine experience
- Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation edited by Kate Bornstein and S. Bear Bergman, a collection of essays from trans writers
- Hello Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws by Kate Bornstein
- My Gender Workbook: How to Become a Real Man, a Real Woman, the Real You, or Something Else Entirely by Kate Bornstein. Here’s a pdf of the introduction.
- Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender and Conformity by Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore about the intersections of identity
- Assuming a Body : Transgender and Rhetorics of Materiality by Gayle Salamon. This is too academic for my interests, just putting it here in case that’s what you are into
- The Gender Book a very comprehensive gender101 that you can get on a pay as you can basis
Articles in Mainstream Media, because heck, why not:
- Esquire: I’m Not Male. I’m Not Female. Please Don’t Ask Me About My Junk.
- Guardian: Jack Monroe: ‘I want to be treated as a person, not as a woman or a man’
- Washington Post: When no gender fits: A quest to be seen as just a person
- Time: Miley Cyrus: ‘You Can Just Be Whatever You Want to Be’ (She’s genderfluid! woah I did not know that)
- Nat Geo: How Science Is Helping Us Understand Gender
Resources for the Confused Cis:
- Trans 101 videos and written material
- TransWhat? A Guide Towards Allyship
- Slate: What the Heck is Genderqueer?
- NPR: Everyone Uses Singular ‘They’, Whether They Realise It Or Not
- The Gender Unicorn
- They Is My Pronoun: guide to using singular They
- Buzzfeed: 16 Easy Ways To Support The Transgender People In Your Life
Resources for the questioning Maybe-Not-Cis, other than everything above:
- Neutrois Nonsense: The Gender Playbook: A Guide To Figuring Out Your Non-Binary Gender
- Valprehension: I don’t know why I identify as genderqueer. I just know that I do.
- Everyday Feminism: I Think I Might Be Trans: 8 Important Notes On Questioning and 50+ Resources to Get You Started
- Huffington Post: How do I know if I’m trans
- Ways2Raise, an NB advice blog on tumblr that answers anon asks
- If you only read one thing, read Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation
Resources for the Not-Cis in Crisis, other than everything above:
- Trans Lifeline there’s a US and a Canada number. I imagine it is possible to Skype phone.
- There are some things I need to tell you.
- 25 Things I Do To Make My Body Dysphoria Feel Smaller and Quieter
- If you only read one thing, read Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation
Misc. Articles I want to link to but have no heading for:
- For The Love of Transmisandry, on transmisogyny in the trans community
- Op-ed: Why Are Narratives Around Transgender People Always So Negative?
- The Categories Were Made For Man, Not Man For The Categories on categorisation problems and what gender trans people are *really*
- Performance Piece by Julia Serano on gender and performativity
Here’s the same video of Nikolas Lima singing a duet with himself pre- and post- testosterone that I posted before. It’s just so beautiful…</p